This Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken is made with juicy chicken topped with cheddar, cream cheese, spicy jalapenos, and crumbled! This easy low carb chicken recipe is big on flavor and simple to make!
At this point it’s probably no surprise that we like to add a little spice to our meals!
Jalapeno popper inspired recipes are some of our favorite ways to go about getting that spicy kick!
Whether we’re whipping up our keto jalapeno poppers or we’re making jalapeno stuffed chicken or jalapeno popper chicken casserole, we love the flavor and spice that a little jalapeno, bacon, and cream cheese add to dinner.
This time around we kept things very simple by mixing up a cheesy, spicy mix of cream cheese, cheddar, and jalapenos and then we spread it over the top of juicy, seared chicken breasts and let things get all melty together.
Such a tasty dinner and it was a major family pleaser.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken – I’m using chicken breasts for this recipe but you could also use boneless chicken thighs.
Jalapeno – You’ll mince a jalapeno to go into the cream cheese mixture. You’ll also want some jalapeno slices for serving! Leave the seeds and membranes in if you like it spicy, or remove them for a more mild flavor.
Bacon – We’ve always got some bacon pre-cooked and ready to go for recipes like this.
Cheese – This chicken is creamy and cheesy! You’ll need room temperature cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese for the mixture. Make sure it is room temp or it won’t easily mix.
Garlic – Some minced garlic will add loads of flavor.
Seasoning – We’ll be adding garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt.
- The spicy heat from the jalapenos goes perfectly with the creamy, cheesy mix and the savory chicken and crumbled bacon! It’s a very tasty combination.
- You can easily make this mild by removing the seeds and membranes from fresh jalapenos or by using a jar of ‘tamed’ jalapenos. Or you can make it extra spicy with extra peppers!
- This dish cooks up in about 20 minutes with just 10 minutes of prep. Who doesn’t love a 30 minute dinner?
- Season & Sear – While your oven preheats pound the chicken out to an even thickness and season both sides of it with the mix of garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Sear the chicken in some oil on each side for about 5 minutes. You want the chicken to be nicely browned and partially cooked through.
- Mix – Add the cream cheese, diced jalapeno, garlic, and the shredded cheddar to a bowl and mix together until it is well combined.
- Top – Spread the cream cheese mixture over the top of each piece of chicken. Sprinkle on some cheddar.
- Bake – Place the skillet into a hot oven and bake uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through to a safe temp of 165 degrees. I’ve linked to my favorite meat thermometer below.
- Top & Serve – When the chicken is ready you can remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle on the fried crumbled bacon! We also like to top the chicken with some slices of jalapeno.
I love using this meat thermometer for making sure the meat is fully cooked! Easy for beginners & absolutely worth the low cost. Just stick it in the thickest part of the meat to check for doneness. This thermometer is also magnetic so it’s easy to store right on the side of the fridge or oven for easy access! Get it on Amazon.
Don’t forget to pound the chicken out to an even thickness, whether you are using chicken breast or chicken thighs. This will help make sure it all cooks evenly.
This tasty jalapeno popper chicken makes a great dinner! Serve it alongside these favorites:
- Keto Coleslaw – My mama’s famous recipe! Crisp and cool, which makes it perfect with a spicy main dish.
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese – The kids love this cheesy cauliflower!
- Broccoli Fritters – An easy way to get kids excited about broccoli, especially if you serve them with ranch as a dip!
- Cauliflower Tots – Forget potatoes, these bake up crispy and perfect for dipping!
You can keep any leftovers stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Yes, there is some spiciness to this from the jalapeno. If you don’t want it to be as spicy remove the seeds from the jalapeno pepper before mincing, and skip adding the slices on top. If you want more spice, try adding some cayenne pepper to the cream cheese mixture!
More Jalapeno Popper Recipes:
- Jalapeno Popper Meatballs
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Peppers
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Salad
More Keto Chicken Recipes:
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken
- Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
- Monterey Chicken
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
- 4 chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, divided
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Sliced jalapeno, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness and season on both sides with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and let heat
- Once oil is hot, add the chicken and cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes or until nicely browned.
- While the chicken is cooking, stir together the cream cheese, jalapeno, garlic, and ½ cup of cheddar until well combined.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture evenly over the top of each piece of chicken.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar.
- Transfer chicken to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with the crumbled bacon.
- Top with slices of jalapeno and serve.
Make sure your chicken is pounded or cut to an even thickness for even cooking.
To make this dish less spicy, remove the seeds from the jalapeno before mincing. For more spice, add cayenne to the cream cheese mixture or more minced jalapeno
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 1073mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 27g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.