This KETO CABBAGE SOUP is loaded with sliced smoked sausage, diced tomatoes, and cabbage, all in a cheesy, comforting soup! This recipe is perfect for chilly nights.
Chilly nights are coming and that can only mean one thing: soup!
We often do soup and salad for dinner in the fall and winter. It’s cozy, comforting, and soup is usually pretty easy to whip up.
With all of the staying home we’ve been doing lately, soup is basically the perfect dinner. It feels like a warm hug and we all could use that these days!
This keto cabbage soup is studded with smoked sausage, onions, and tomatoes with green chiles. Oh, and cabbage, of course.
The base is smooth, creamy, and cheesy, and there are plenty of veggies and sausage to keep you satisfied.
How to make cabbage soup:
Start by sauteeing your smoked sausage with some diced onion in your soup pot. We like get the sausage a bit browned for extra flavor.
We prefer to use a smoked sausage that has 2 net carbs per serving, so be sure to peek at the nutrition label when shopping. Some of them are loaded with carbs.
Stir in the garlic, chicken stock, cabbage, and Ro*Tel.
Ro*Tel is just a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, for those not in the know. It adds loads of flavor to any dish and a little kick, thanks to the chiles.
Cover the dish and let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the cabbage is nice and tender.
Melt some cream cheese in the microwave and then add it right into the soup and give it a good stir.
Melting the cream cheese first helps it to incorporate into the hot liquid and not just clump up a bunch.
Stir in the cheddar until everything is all creamy and melty and well combined.
You cabbage soup with sausage is ready to eat! Dig in!
Storage & Reheating:
You can store this soup in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You may notice that the soup separates as it sits in the fridge. Just stir well during and after heating to bring it all back together.
More keto soup recipes:
- Keto Taco Soup
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Keto Cheeseburger Soup
- Keto Cauliflower Soup
- Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the smoked sausage into thin rounds.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and onions to the pot and cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the chicken stock, cabbage, and Ro*Tel to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Bring a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Melt the cream cheese in the microwave until soft and easy to stir. Stir the cream cheese into the soup along with the cheddar and continue stirring over low heat until the cheeses have melted and the soup is creamy.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1251mgCarbohydrates: 14gNet Carbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 17g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.