This Creamy Ham and Cabbage Soup is rich and cheesy, packed with tender cabbage and a perfect way to use up leftover ham. Ready in just 30 minutes and perfect for a chilly night.
Nothing beats a hot bowl of soup on a cold night and this Creamy Ham and Cabbage Soup is a definite favorite.
I love that it comes together in just 30 minutes and can use leftover ham or a pack of cubed ham from the grocery store!
The tender cabbage, creamy broth, and salty ham all work together to make a satisfying bowl of soup. We like to serve this alongside our keto cornbread, keto cheddar bay biscuits, or garlic bread chaffles.
I’m always surprised when my kids happily gobble up cabbage, but it really is such a mild flavored veggie and it works especially well in soup! Like, our cabbage soup with hamburger or this cheesy keto cabbage soup!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Veggies – We’re using diced onion and celery, plenty of chopped cabbage, and some minced garlic.
Diced Ham – This is a great recipe for using up leftover ham! Just dice it up into smaller pieces for the soup. You can also buy the pre-diced package of ham from the store if you want to keep things easy.
Chicken Stock – This will make up the base of the soup. Use homemade or store bought.
Chicken Bouillon – Adds extra depth of flavor!
Dairy – We’re stirring in heavy cream, cream cheese, and shredded cheddar to give this soup it’s creamy texture.
Seasoning- We kept it simple with salt and pepper, but feel free to add in whatever herbs or spices you like.
- You can keep dinner nice and easy with this simple one pot meal!
- Comes together in about 30 minutes and turns out rich and creamy.
- If you’ve got leftover ham this recipe is the perfect way to use it up!
How To Make Ham and Cabbage Soup :
- Saute – Heat some oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat and cook the onion and celery until softened. When ready stir in the minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Stir in your ham.
- Cabbage – Dice up the cabbage into small pieces and add it to the pot. Pour in the chicken stock and bouillon and simmer the soup until the cabbage is tender. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Dairy – Add the cream cheese and heavy cream to a bowl and heat them together in the microwave until the cheese is soft and the mixture can be easily stirred together. Stir that mix into the ham and cabbage soup and then toss in the shredded cheddar.
- Finish – Continue cooking the creamy ham and cabbage soup over low heat until the cheese has melted and the soup is good and creamy! Stir it up well and add some salt and pepper to taste before serving it up.
Be sure to dice up the cabbage fairly small so that it’s easy to eat. Large chunks are hard to keep on your spoon!
Sure! Just keep it covered in an airtight container in the fridge and it should last for at least 3 to 4 days. It might even taste better on day two after it’s had a chance to set a bit in the fridge!
Yes, you can freeze this soup. Cool it completely before transferring to freezer safe bags or containers and it’ll stay good for at least a few months.
More Keto Soups:
- Keto Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Cabbage Soup with Hamburger
- Crack Chicken Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Cabbage and Sausage Soup
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
- 1 small onion
- 1 rib celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced ham
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice the onion and celery.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery to the pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the ham, chicken stock, cabbage, and chicken bouillon to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Heat the cream and cream cheese in the microwave until the cheese is soft and the mixture easily stirs together. Stir into the soup along with the cheddar and continue stirring over low heat until the cheese has melted and the soup is creamy.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Be sure to chop the cabbage fairly small, so that it fits nicely on the spoon when serving the soup.
You may add additional seasoning, if desired. Italian seasoning and fresh herbs are nice, but we usually keep it simple and classic.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 1141mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 27g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.