This SALSA FRESCA CHICKEN BAKE is fresh, flavorful, and perfect for a quick and flavorful dinner. It’s also low carb and the whole family loves it!
Me again, with another Mexican inspired recipe. Day after day after day. 😉
I just can’t stop with the bright, bold, spicy flavors of Mexico and this salsa fresca chicken recipe is no exception.
This recipe is very much like our baked salsa chicken, but we’re making a homemade pico de gallo (also called salsa fresca!) to go over the top! It adds a little texture, lots of freshness, and loads of flavor.
If you wanted to dollop our keto guacamole over the top, no one would complain about that either. 😉
Chicken Breasts – Thighs would also work well.
Keto Taco Seasoning – Our homemade blend is best, but you can use store bought if you want to keep it easier.
Jalapeno – Adjust the amount to make this as spicy as you’d like.
Cilantro – I personally can’t imagine pico de gallo without cilantro, but if you hate the stuff, sub in parsley.
Pepper Jack Cheese
Season – Start by drizzling the chicken breasts with a bit of oil and then rubbing in that taco seasoning. Be sure to fully coat the chicken in seasoning.
Bake – Pop the chicken into a hot oven and bake through. This will take about 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
Make the Salsa Fresca – While the chicken is cooking, dice up the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro and add that to a mixing bowl. Squeeze in some lime juice, season with salt, and give it all a taste. The flavors should pop!
Top the Chicken – When the chicken is cooked through, immediately sprinkle it with the cheese and let it set for just a minute to melt onto the chicken. Spoon the salsa fresca evenly over the chicken breasts.
Serve – We like this salsa fresca chicken served with a side of Mexican cauliflower rice.
If you anticipate having leftovers, we recommend keeping the pico de gallo and chicken separate. Reheat the chicken breast in the microwave until warmed through and then top with the tomato mixture. If you’d like to warm the tomato mixture, do so in short bursts just until it’s no longer cold, but not hot.
More low carb chicken recipes:
- Air Fryer Drumsticks
- Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Roasted Chicken Breast
- Avocado Chicken Salad
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons keto taco seasoning
- 1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack
For the salsa fresca:
- 3 roma tomatoes
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 small jalapeno, more or less to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the chicken breasts to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle both sides with the taco seasoning. Coat the chicken in the seasoning.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken reaches 160 degrees.
- While the chicken is baking, dice the tomatoes and onion. Mince the jalapeno.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and salt to a small bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the top and toss to combine.
- When chicken reaches 165 degrees, remove from the oven and top immediately with the Monterey jack. Let sit for 1-2 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Spoon the pico de gallo over the chicken and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 956mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.