This CHICKEN FAJITA SOUP is made in the Instant Pot so it’s quick to throw together, but it tastes like it cooked all day. Fresh, flavorful, packed with veggies, and it’s keto friendly and low carb, too!
It probably seems like I have soup on the brain these days.
It’s just that we’re heading into cooler weather and all I want to do is cozy up with a bowl of soup in the evenings!
This soup is chockfull of juicy chicken, fajita veggies, a little spice thanks to the chipotle pepper, and it’s nice and creamy thanks to the cream cheese.
The squeeze of fresh lime really brightens the whole soup and makes it taste so fresh and flavorful.
This recipe goes very quickly with just a bit of chopping.
Chop up some bell peppers, onion, garlic, and chipotle peppers in adobo.
Sautee the peppers, onion, and garlic in the Instant Pot until softened a bit and then stir in the chipotle pepper, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
Top it all off with some chicken breasts and then pour in chicken broth.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to sealing. This will cook at high pressure for 18 minutes.
Once the pressure has released, remove the chicken from the pot and shred it.
Drop in some softened cream cheese and whisk well until melted. Stir in fresh lime and cilantro and add the chicken back to the pot.
Dinner is served!
We like to top this chicken fajita soup with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and avocado.
Slow Cooker Version:
Follow the recipe as directed, but instead of placing the ingredients in the Instant Pot, place them in a crockpot set to low.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours and then shred the chicken.
Add the cream cheese to the slow cooker and whisk well to combine. Return the chicken to the pot with the cilantro and stir to combine.
Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
More Mexican inspired recipes:
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Sour cream, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, cheddar, for garnish
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the oil to the pot to heat. Once shimmering add the peppers and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chipotles, cumin, chili powder, and salt to the pot and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the chicken, lime juice, and chicken broth to the pot.
- Cover, turn vent to sealing, and cook on high pressure for 18 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally, about 10 minutes, before removing the lid.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the cream cheese. Whisk constantly until the cream cheese is fully melted and incorporated. Turn Instant Pot off and return chicken to the pot. Add the cilantro and stir well to combine.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado, tomatoes, or cheese.
To make this in a slow cooker, cook on low heat for 3 hours. Remove the chicken and shred it. Add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Return the chicken to the pot with the cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per ServingCalories 392Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 110mgSodium 927mgCarbohydrates 11gNet Carbohydrates 7gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 29g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.