HEALTHY BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE is made with cauliflower rice for a grain-free casserole that is low carb and keto-friendly. This low carb broccoli rice casserole is a hit with my kids and it’s really easy to throw together for a quick side dish any night of the week.
I hear from so many of you that you get bored eating the same foods over and over again.
I get it. I’m a total foodie so if I don’t have a whole lotta variety, I quickly get tired of the same ol’ thing. Well, unless that same ol’ thing is pork tenderloin topped with garlic butter. I could probably eat that every day. 😉
My biggest trick to keeping dinner time exciting is to get creative with the side dishes. Change them up!! You don’t need to eat the same steamed broccoli and side salad every night of the week.
This broccoli rice casserole is a perfect example. My kids have always loved the traditional version made with real rice, so why not test out a cauliflower rice version on them? THEY LOVE IT!
I love that it’s low carb so the whole family can eat it and it’s made with extra veggies so I feel good about it.
How cauliflower rice is made:
Cauliflower rice is just finely chopped cauliflower!
You can make it at home with a sharp knife and a little patience, or you can use a food processor.
I use this food processor (affiliate link) and really love it for making cauliflower rice, grating cheese, or slicing turnips for my turnips au gratin. It’s a workhorse and gets a lot of use in my kitchen.
Most grocery stores also sell riced cauliflower and it’s totally fine to use either fresh (found in the produce section and called ‘cauliflower crumbles’ at Walmart!) or frozen.
Low carb broccoli rice casserole:
Add your (fresh or frozen) cauliflower rice to a large mixing bowl along with some chopped broccoli florets and a tablespoon of water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes. Let sit for 2 minutes and then carefully remove the plastic wrap.
Add in your cheddar, cream cheese, eggs, and spices and give it all a big stir.
Spread your broccoli rice casserole into a 9×9 baking dish and top it all off with a little more cheddar.
If you’d like a crunchy coating on top, add some crushed pork rinds!
Bake this up for about 30 minutes and then dig in!
This healthy broccoli rice casserole is so easy, so cheesy, and a total winner in my book!
What to serve with this keto broccoli cauliflower rice casserole:
This side dish goes well with most proteins!
More low carb side dishes to try:
My keto Brussels sprouts are roasted with a little Balsamic vinegar and they’re seriously so good, even for this non-sprout lover. 😉
Healthy Broccoli 'Rice' Casserole
- 12 ounces riced cauliflower
- 12 ounces broccoli florets chopped
- 3 cups grated cheddar divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature, chopped into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the riced cauliflower and chopped broccoli to a large mixing bowl along with a tablespoon of water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 3 minutes and let sit, covered, for 2 minutes. Carefully remove plastic wrap from bowl and drain liquid.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of cheddar, cream cheese, eggs, and spices to the bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into 9x9 baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.