Our Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is simple to make, kid-approved, and sure to be a favorite way to serve up cauliflower! Tastes so much like the real deal, thanks to a couple of tricks.
Truth time: Cauliflower is not potatoes. It’s not rice. It’s not pasta. It’s not pizza.
I know that. I do.
Of course, that doesn’t stop me from turning it into a really good sub for those things!
Hello, cauliflower potato salad, cauliflower risotto, cauliflower mac and cheese, and keto cauliflower pizza crust!
When done right, cauliflower can be a great sub for many foods! It’s not going to be the exact same, and some people will always hate it. But, if you’re on the fence about cauliflower, I highly encourage you to keep trying new recipes! Because I am here to tell you that a really well done cauliflower recipe is gold.
This cauliflower mac and cheese recipe? It’s one of those really well done recipes and you are going. to. love. it.
This is NOT just your typical cauliflower drizzled with cheese sauce.
The first time I made this my 15 year old daughter was helping cook dinner and she got really huffy about the cauliflower for mac swap. She insisted that she wasn’t going to like it. She complained right up until I made her try a bite.
You guys, the kid RAVED about this cauliflower mac and cheese. She said that it’s the ‘perfect amount of cheese’ and the ‘perfect blend of cheese’ and that it ‘tastes like really good mac and cheese.’ <— Those are all her words! She’s turning into quite the little foodie. And I totally agree with her.
Let’s do this, shall we?
👩🍳 Ingredient Notes:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cauliflower – Use fresh cauliflower! Frozen just isn’t the same in this recipe. Chop the cauliflower florets into pieces that are about the size of macaroni noodles. I know it’s not quite the same as pasta but trust me, it works!
Creamy Cheese – There may not be any macaroni in this cauliflower mac and cheese recipe but there is lots of creamy cheese! You’ll use cream cheese, grated cheddar, and grated Monterey Jack that’ll get mixed and melted with heavy cream for a perfectly cheesy sauce. I definitely recommend freshly grated cheese for the best cheesy flavor.
Seasoning – Some salt, cracked pepper, and ground mustard will add just the right amount of extra flavor to the mix!
- It’s not pasta, but gosh it does a good job of satisfying the craving!
- Stirring the small pieces of macaroni into the cheese sauce (verses drizzling a little over the top) makes a world of difference.
- This is very rich and creamy – super satisfying!
- It’s kid-approved and that’s always half the battle!
🍴 How To Make Cauliflower Mac and Cheese:
- Boil – We’re going to keep it extra simple, because we’re all busy and no one has time to spend hours whipping up a single side dish for dinner on a busy weeknight. This is a stove top cauliflower mac and cheese, so it’s literally ready from start to finish in about 20 minutes and that includes the time it takes to bring a pot of water to a boil. So, bring some water to a boil over high heat.
- Cauliflower – Chop up some cauliflower into macaroni sized pieces. The smaller size of the pieces is a big key to this recipe, so please don’t leave huge chunks. I usually start with a bag of fresh cauliflower florets instead of a whole head, just because it’s easier and I’m all about a short cut. For the best taste and texture, I don’t recommend frozen cauliflower for this recipe. Toss your cauliflower pieces into the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Creamy Cheese Sauce – Drain away the water and return the cauliflower to the hot pan over low heat. Add in some heavy cream, cream cheese, cheddar, Monterey jack, ground mustard, and salt and pepper. Stir this all together until the cheese has melted and everything is well combined, gooey, and irresistible.
- Serve – The second key factor in this recipe that differentiates it from your usual steamed cauliflower with a drizzle of cheese sauce to cauliflower mac and cheese is the fact that every little bite is covered in the cheese sauce, just like it would be if this were actual mac and cheese. You can serve this up as a side for weeknight dinner or even for family gatherings. Everyone can enjoy this one!
If you like cauliflower even a little bit, I imagine you’ll LOVE this recipe. Some people really hate cauliflower and if that’s you, you might not like this recipe. The cheese really hides the cauliflower though and the texture is a bit softer since it’s boiled, so I would recommend trying this. It’s truly one of our favorites and we think it tastes amazing.
Yes, it sure is! Check the recipe card below for the macros.
You can keep any leftovers in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days in an airtight container. They’ll reheat well in the microwave. This recipe will also freeze well for up to 3 months. It’s best frozen in individual portions.
🍽 More Low Carb Cauliflower Recipes!
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole: This one has all the good stuff from bacon to cheddar to green onions!
- Cheesy Cauliflower Bake: It’s a simple low carb, air fried dish with lots of cheese and bacon!
- Broccoli Cauliflower Soup: This one is a favorite for lunch!
- Pickled Cauliflower: Makes a surprisingly tasty snack!
- Cauliflower Fried Rice: No need for take out!
- Keto Lettuce Wraps: They’re filled with seasoned cauliflower rice and chicken!
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Extra creamy and cheesy cauliflower mac and cheese! This one is both kid friendly and keto friendly!
- 16 ounces cauliflower, chopped into macaroni sized pieces
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower pieces and boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and return the cauliflower to the pot over low heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well until the cheese has melted fully, about 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Use whatever blend of cheeses you prefer in your mac and cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 384mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.
Leave a Review