These homemade BROCCOLI TOTS are an easy low carb substitute for tater tots that even the kids are sure to enjoy! They’re an easy way to get broccoli on the table without complaints and they’re perfect dipped in ranch dressing!
For me, the hardest part about low carb isn’t that I’m not eating carbs…it’s that I have to plan ahead for every meal and come up with food that my family will also eat at dinner time.
I mean, I refuse to cook two separate meals, so I’ve gotten really good at creating low carb recipes that even my kids like. Pretty proud of that, actually. 😉
Broccoli can definitely be hit or miss with kids, but I turned it into a sure thing this time around. Broccoli Tots!
We all love eating food with our hands, especially when there is dip involved!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Broccoli – We always prefer fresh broccoli – it has such a better texture and flavor, in our opinion. You’ll steam these for a short time in the microwave to get them just a little tender before they get processed and turned into tots!
Cheese – Broccoli and cheese is a perfect combination! We’re using a mix of both Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses in these broccoli tots.
Almond Flour – You’ll be using almond flour in this recipe in place of breadcrumbs. When combined with the egg, it’ll help hold all the broccoli and cheese together and will bake up nicely in the oven!
Seasonings – Just a simple mix of garlic powder, onion powder, and salt!
- Kid Friendly!
- A bit of prep work, but overall quite simple!
- Perfect for dipping!
- Reheat well in the oven or air fryer if you have leftovers!
- Steam the Broccoli – First up we’ll need to steam the broccoli a bit to soften it up. You can do this easily by adding the broccoli florets to a microwave safe bowl along with a couple of tablespoons of water and covering it tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave for 4 minutes and allow it to sit still covered for 2 more minutes. Remove the plastic wrap carefully and drain the water from the bowl.
- Process – Next go ahead and add the broccoli to a food processor or blender along with all of the remaining ingredients including the almond flour, egg, cheeses, and seasonings. Process all of that good stuff up until you have a finely ground mixture that can easily be shaped by hand into tots.
- Shape – We like to use a small cookie scoop to get perfectly sized tots. Scoop out a portion of the broccoli and roll it into a tot with your hands. This goes quick and the mixture is easy to work with.
- Bake – Once you’ve shaped the the broccoli cheese mixture into a tot place each one onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spritz with some non-stick spray. The broccoli cheddar tots are ready to bake! Bake for just 15 minutes and these are ready to serve!
These should work wonderfully in an air fryer! Line the basket with parchment paper that has holes poked in it for air flow. Arrange the tots in a single layer with space between each. Air fry at 350 for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.
Yes, leftover broccoli cheddar tots will freeze well for up to three months if you store them in a freezer safe bag. Thaw in the fridge before reheating in the oven or air fryer.
Much like the classic tater tot, these are little bite sized chunks of veggies that kids and adults both love. We swapped the potatoes for broccoli, added in a bit of cheese for flavor, and baked them for a healthier take on the tater tot.
These are delicious on their own as a side dish or snack, but dip really takes things up a notch. Ketchup, ranch, and cheese sauce are our go to dips for broccoli tots.
More Easy Low Carb Snacks & Side Dishes:
- Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- Keto Avocado Fries
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
Follow me on social for more recipe ideas & inspiration!
- 10 ounces broccoli florets
- ¾ cup Parmesan
- ¾ cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the broccoli florets in a mixing bowl along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 4 minutes. Let sit for 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap and drain the liquid from the bowl.
- Add the broccoli to the bowl of a food processor or blender along with the remaining ingredients.
- Process until you have a finely ground mixture.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out portions of the mixture and then shape with your hands into tots.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and spritz lightly with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Using a small cookie scoop yields evenly sized tots every time, which helps them bake up better and makes it easier to calculate nutrition. We use our cookie scoops often for all kinds of things - highly recommend.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 7 tots
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 656mgCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.