GREEN BEANS WITH BACON AND TOMATOES is my favorite way to enjoy green beans! Fresh green beans cooked with bacon, onion, garlic, and tomatoes until tender and flavorful. These are easy enough for any night, but fancy enough for a holiday dinner.
I used to eat canned green beans dipped in ketchup as a child…I’m not proud of this fact, but there it is. 😉
These days, I like to cook fresh green beans with tomatoes and bacon. So much better, but still maybe has a little bit of that childhood favorite vibe? Haha!
Cooking fresh green beans is really easy, but I’ve made this recipe with canned as well. Both work great and I think you’ll love all the flavors going on here.
Green Beans and Tomatoes Ingredients:
- Fresh Green Beans (see recipe note for cooking with canned green beans)
- Canned Tomatoes
- Chicken Broth
- Fry the bacon until nearly crisp and then stir in the onion and garlic until a bit soft.
- Add the green beans, diced tomatoes, and broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for around 40 minutes or until your beans are as tender as you’d like.
Cooking fresh green beans is really simple, but it does take a bit of time to get them soft. You’ll want to bring them to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and then cover the pan to trap in all that steam. The green beans will be perfect in about 40 minutes.
Don’t drain the juice from the can of tomatoes…it adds needed liquid and loads of flavor.
Want to cut carbs? Reduce the onion and/or tomatoes, but don’t skip them completely. They add so much flavor to the green beans!
How many carbs are in green beans?
We’ve all heard that beans are a no-no on a low carb diet, but thankfully green beans have fewer carbs than most legumes!
There are 7 grams of carbs and 3.4 grams of fiber in 1 cup of chopped green beans.
The tomatoes, onions, and garlic do add additional carbs in this recipe, but this dish will still be low enough for most to enjoy at just 6 net carbs per serving.
What to serve with these fresh green beans:
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- Heat a dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and fry, stirring often, until browned but not yet crisp. Do not drain.
- Stir in the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the green beans, canned tomatoes (with juice from the can), chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover pan and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
To make this recipe using canned green beans, drain juice from green beans and use 1 cup of chicken broth instead of 1/2 cup as called for above. Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated from pan and beans are very tender.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 70Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 6mgSodium 486mgCarbohydrates 10gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 4g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.