These GARLIC PARMESAN GREEN BEANS are simmered in a rich cream sauce. They’re simple to make, but they’ll wow any dinner guest.
Get ready for some of the tastiest green beans you’ll ever eat!
We cook these fresh green beans with a little bacon, onion, and garlic and then create a super quick Parmesan cream sauce for the beans to simmer in for a few minutes.
The sauce is so good, you’ll probably be slurping it up with a spoon. <— Don’t ask me how I know that.
Are green beans keto?
Every time I share a green bean recipe, I get at least one or two (or twenty!) comments from readers telling me that beans aren’t keto.
So, before you hit send on that email, let’s discuss!
While most legumes are very high carb and are definitely off limits for a keto diet (and even many low carb diets), green beans aren’t so bad!
A 1 cup serving of cooked green beans has 10 total carbs and 4 grams of fiber, for just 6 net carbs per serving.
We choose to work green beans into our keto diet, because they’re flavorful, packed with nutrients, and it’s nice to mix things up every once in a while.
When eating green beans, we just work them into our day. We don’t serve them with other higher carb veggies or sauces and we tend to keep it fairly simple.
Why We Love This Recipe:
- Quick – Start to finish this whole dish takes just 30 minutes.
- Major Flavor – the creamy Parmesan sauce really knocks it out of the park.
- Simple Ingredients – Nothing funky, everything is fairly budget friendly.
- Family Friendly – No one realizes this is low carb. They’re too busy shoveling it in to care anyway.
Ingredients & Variations:
Fresh Green Beans – We haven’t tested this with frozen, but I imagine it’ll work just fine. I wouldn’t recommend canned green beans.
Onions – I love onions in this dish, but often leave them out for my onion-hating husband. You’ll save carbs by cutting the onions too.
Heavy Cream – We haven’t tested this using half and half or any other products. We like the thickness of the sauce when using cream.
Parmesan – Freshly shredded or even the bag of shredded Parmesan is best here. Do not use the powdery stuff from the green can.
Red Pepper Flakes – I love that slight kick they give these green beans, but this one is totally optional
More recipes like this:
- Chicken and Green Beans
- Canned Green Beans with Bacon
- Szechuan Green Beans
- Sauteed Green Beans with Insane Sauce
- Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add the bacon to a large, deep skillet over medium heat and fry, stirring often, until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from the skillet.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan and cover the pan. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until beans are tender crisp.
- Remove the lid from the pan and add the heavy cream, Parmesan, and salt to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Let cook, stirring often, until the sauce has thickened and the cheese has melted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir the bacon back into the pot and sprinkle with red pepper flakes before serving.
You may leave out the red pepper flakes, if preferred.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 259Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 62mgSodium 738mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 11g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.