This ENCHILADA MEATBALL CASSEROLE is a family favorite in our house! It satisfies that Mexican food craving that we seem to get regularly. Made with homemade enchilada sauce and loads of cheesy meatballs, this is a low Mexican recipe you’re going to love!
Today I’m bringing you two of my favorite things in one…Mexican food + meatballs!
It’s hard to go wrong when you’ve got Mexican flavors happening and, let’s be real, meatballs are basically the perfect food. They’re easy to make, they’re easy to pop in your mouth, they’re hearty and filling, and you can change up the flavors in a million different ways.For more Mexican food, check out my low carb taco casserole and crockpot chicken fajitas.
Okay, guys, get ready…these low carb enchilada meatballs are easy to make and totally going to become a staple in your house!
How to make low carb enchilada meatballs:
These enchilada meatballs start with a mixture of ground beef and ground pork.
Combine the meat with some crushed pork rinds. You can buy pork rind crumbs on Amazon (affiliate), or you can just buy a bag of pork rinds at your local grocery store and crush them yourself. It’s much cheaper to crush them yourself, FYI.
Add in some shredded cheddar, homemade enchilada sauce, egg, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, and salt.
Stir that all together and form into meatballs.
I like to use a medium cookie scoop (affiliate) to portion out the meatballs. This makes it easy because the scoop is easy to work and your meatballs will always be the same size. I use my cookie scoops regularly in cooking – you’ll see them recommended often. 😉
We’re going to bake the meatballs for about 15 minutes to get them started.
Pour some of that enchilada sauce into the bottom of a baking dish and pop the partially cooked meatballs on top.
Top with a mix of cheddar and Monterey jack (or pepper jack, if you want a little kick!).
Return your enchilada meatball casserole to the oven, bake for another 15 minutes, and then sprinkle with cilantro and drizzle with a little Mexican crema or sour cream before serving.
Are you suddenly craving Mexican food or is it just me? 😉
What to serve with this low carb enchilada meatball casserole:
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice: This rice goes great with any Mexican food!
Low Carb Mexican Coleslaw: Looks so refreshing!
Mexican Roasted Zucchini: We love zucchini and this a fun new twist.
Taco Stuffed Mini Peppers: We usually serve these as an app, but they make a tasty side too!
For the meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 ½ cups crushed pork rinds
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the casserole
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Add all of the meatball ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out small portions of the meat mixture. Roll into balls and place evenly spaced on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pour the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and spread to coat the bottom of the dish.
- Carefully transfer the meatballs from the baking sheet to the dish with the enchilada sauce and top with the monterey jack and cheddar.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the cilantro and drizzle with crema.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 5 meatballs
Amount Per Serving Calories 540Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 186mgSodium 915mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 47g