This crockpot sausage and peppers recipe is made with flavorful Italian sausage links, sugar-free marinara sauce, bell peppers and onions! Perfect with a pile of roasted or steamed veggies to make an easy dinner!
You know we love a good crockpot meal around here and this Crockpot Sausage and Peppers is sure to be a winner in any house.
We start by searing off some Italian sausage, toss it in the crockpot with peppers, onions, and marinara, and then we sit back and let the magic happen.
The result is tender, flavorful sausage and vegetables swimming in a tasty tomato sauce.
My kids have been known to stuff this all in a bun and turn it into a sandwich – also delicious if you’re not watching carbs.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Italian Sausage Links – We used Johnsonville Italian sausage which has 3 carbs per sausage link. If using another brand or sausage with a higher carb count, you’ll want to adjust the nutrition information accordingly.
Pepper & Onion – You’ll slice these into strips to go into the crockpot to cook with the sausage and marinara. They’ll get nice and tender. Don’t cut them too thin or they’ll turn to mush after cooking for so long.
Sugar-Free Marinara – I really love this Rao’s Marinara Sauce. It tastes great and doesn’t have any added sugars. You can use whichever brand you like, just be sure to check the label!
Italian Seasoning – The perfect way to add classic Italian flavors like oregano, basil, thyme, and marjoram.
Red Pepper Flakes – You can use more or less of these depending on your preferred level of spiciness, or you can omit it altogether. We like just a touch to give it a hint of a kick – I’m a pretty big wimp. 😉
Salt & Pepper – For seasoning the sausage and veggies along with the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
We use Thrive Market for a lot of our specialty ingredients and keto snacks or products. Their prices tend to be cheaper than the local stores and I love that you can so easily sort products by diet.
Like Costco, this is a membership site, but we find that it’s more than worth it based on the amount we save over the regular grocery store.
They have monthly or yearly plans. Check it out here.
- Easy: Sear the sausage and toss everything in the crockpot. It doesn’t get simpler than that!
- Flavorful: The flavors of the sausage paired with the marinara and peppers are a classic combination that everyone raves about.
- Healthy and Filling: Packed with protein and veggies, this crockpot sausage and peppers recipe is a healthy choice that will keep you satisfied for hours.
- Budget-friendly: With just a few simple ingredients, this crockpot recipe is a budget-friendly option that won’t break the bank.
In the market for a new slow cooker? We love this 7 quart Crockpot. It’s simple to use, cooks evenly, and is very budget friendly. Plus, it has a 4 1/2 star rating with over 5,000 reviews on Amazon!
How To Make Sausage and Peppers:
- Sear – To get started heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the sausage links and sear them on all sides. You don’t want to cook them all the way through. Just brown them up a bit!
- Peppers & Onion – You can start slicing the bell peppers and onion into strips while the sausage cooks. Place those into the bottom of the crockpot. Don’t cut the strips too thin as they’ll be slow cooking for a long time.
- Marinara – Next you can pour the sugar-free marinara over the pepper and onion and then top it with the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir all that up until it is well combined!
- Arrange – When the sausage has browned you can start arranging the sausage links over the top of the peppers, onion, and marinara sauce. Press them down lightly to partially cover the sausage in marinara sauce.
- Slow Cook – Cover the crockpot and cook the sausage and peppers on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the sausage is cooked through and the veggies are tender!
- Finish & Serve – When it has finished cooking remove the sausage links from the crockpot and slice them into chunks. Return them to the crockpot and gently stir to coat the sausage in more of the sauce. We like to sprinkle on some parsley before serving this dish hot! There is enough here to make a meal out of it but you can also serve it up with some low carb sides like a nice fresh salad or some mashed cauliflower!
Don’t slice your peppers and onions too thin or they’ll turn to mush as they cook in the crockpot.
The red pepper flakes will add some spice to this but you can always adjust with more or less depending on how spicy you like it. You could also use a spicy Italian sausage if you want to increase the heat.
It’s not required but I would recommend it. Searing the sausage and browning it up first adds more flavor!
If you have leftovers you can keep them stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
MORE KETO CROCKPOT RECIPES!
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- 5 Italian sausage links see notes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cups sugar-free marinara such as Rao’s
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Fresh minced parsley
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the sausage links and sear on all sides. Do not cook the sausage all the way through – just brown the outside.
- While the sausage is cooking, slice the peppers and onions into strips and place in the bottom of a crockpot.
- Pour the marinara, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper over the peppers and onions and stir to combine.
- Arrange the sausage links over the top of peppers and onions, pressing them down gently to partially cover them.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the sausage and slice into chunks. Return to the crockpot and gently stir to coat everything in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.