This Cabbage Casserole recipe is rich, hearty, and cheesy! Made with ground beef, canned tomatoes, cheddar, and cabbage, it’s an easy weeknight meal that’s ready in about half an hour.
You may have noticed by now that I’m a sucker for a cheesy casserole.
There is just something about a warm bowl of cheesy comfort food that I can not resist.
Also, I live in the Midwest (born and raised!) and casseroles are a whole thing out here. 😉
This cabbage casserole recipe is so simple, hearty, and filling.
Plus, it has just enough cheese and ground beef that the kids love it too! I love when the kids are on board with my low carb dinners – makes life so much easier!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ground Beef – Some lean ground beef will add savory, hearty goodness to this cheesy cabbage casserole. You could also use ground sausage or other ground meats in place of beef if you want to switch things up!
Garlic & Onion – An easy way to infuse some extra flavor into the beef while it cooks!
Cabbage – You’ll need a few cups of chopped cabbage for this casserole. It’ll get perfectly tender and tasty while it simmers in the tomato sauce and other ingredients!
Italian Seasoning – You can use any brand/blend of Italian seasonings that you prefer. You’ll also need some salt.
Cheddar – The shredded cheddar cheese will get perfectly melty after topping the ground beef and cabbage with it. You could use other varieties of cheese such as mozzarella, but we love this cabbage with the cheddar!
We use Thrive Market for a lot of our specialty ingredients and keto snacks or products. Their prices tend to be cheaper than the local stores and I love that you can so easily sort products by diet.
Like Costco, this is a membership site, but we find that it’s more than worth it based on the amount we save over the regular grocery store.
They have monthly or yearly plans. Check it out here.
- The cabbage takes on lots of savory flavor while it simmers in the tomato sauce with the ground beef. It’s a great way to enjoy a healthy veggie!
- It’s filling enough to serve all on it’s own if you want or make it a meal. Some cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower would make a nice side!
- This one is easy to customize – try adding some red pepper flakes for heat or use a different variety of cheese. This also works well with lean ground turkey or Italian sausage in place of beef.
How To Make Cheesy Cabbage Casserole:
- Beef – Start by browning up a pound of ground beef over medium heat. Once you’ve got the meat crumbled up, stir in some onion and garlic and let those cook until softened and fragrant!
- Cabbage – Stir in chopped cabbage, canned diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Season it up with an Italian seasoning blend, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer – You’ll want to cover this and let it cook for about 15 minutes so the cabbage gets good and soft. You can let it simmer for longer for more tender cabbage.
- Cheese – Turn the heat off, top with some shredded cheddar, and put the lid back on for about 5 minutes to let the cheese get all gooey and melty.
- Serve – We like to garnish this with fresh parsley just before serving. This meal is so hearty and satisfying! The cabbage softens up nicely and the whole dish is nice and cheesy.
This recipe serves 6. We did not measure the servings by volume or weight. We just divided it evenly into 6 portions.
Each serving contains 333 calories, 19 grams of fat, and 7 net carbs.
The full nutrition information is down in the recipe card.
You will want to shred the cabbage into thin strips using a sharp knife. You could also use a food processor to do it quickly. Just be sure to remove the tough core before shredding.
You can keep any leftovers stored in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
More Low Carb Casserole Recipes:
- Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Brussel Sprout Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Spinach Casserole
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar
- Minced parsley, for garnish
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat and brown, crumbling the meat as it cooks.
- When meat is about halfway cooked through, add the onion and garlic to the skillet and continue cooking until beef is cooked through.
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt to the skillet and stir well to combine. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until cabbage has softened to your liking.
- Remove from the heat, top with the cheese, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
You may swap the cheddar for mozzarella or any other cheese you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1237mgCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 30g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.