Tamale pie that tastes like the classic tamale casserole, but with ZERO corn and just 8 net carbs per serving! This low carb Mexican recipe is a total hit with my family and it’s perfect for serving up on Mexican night!
I believe I’ve mentioned before that I have a thing for Mexican food. It’s my favorite cuisine!
I often eat taco salads made with my crockpot chicken fajitas for lunch.
When we go out to eat, I nearly always order steak fajitas and ask them to hold the tortillas. I just add the toppings to the tortillas, drizzle on a little queso, and eat it with a fork. So filing and it totally feels like a cheat meal.
Lately, though, I’ve been craving tamales.
I knew that my low carb cornbread (made with ZERO corn) would be the perfect starting point. My family can’t even tell the difference between real cornbread and my low carb version – it’s THAT good.
Ready for the how to?
How to make chicken tamale pie:
To start, we’re going to whip up my ‘corn’ bread recipe.
You’ll need some butter, cream, eggs, coconut flour, sweetener, baking soda, and a little salt. Easy enough, right?
Whisk all that together to form a nice batter.
The batter is fairly thick, but should spread well enough into a greased 9 inch pie plate.
Bake the cornbread for about 15 minutes – it shouldn’t be completely cooked through as it will be going back in the oven, but it should be just about set.
Grab a fork and poke holes all over through the cornbread and drizzle on some enchilada sauce.
You can use a homemade sauce (I’m still perfecting mine, but I’ll share when it’s done!) or you can use a can from the store. I would recommend looking for a brand that has 4 carbs per 1/4 cup…that’s the lowest I’ve found.
Drizzle the enchilada sauce over the cornbread and then top it off with some seasoned chicken.
Add lots of grated cheddar and pop it all back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
What comes out is hot, steamy, cheesy, Mexican goodness. You’re going to love it!
This dish is serious comfort food. It’s easy, it’s quick, and it will make even the carb-lovers happy.
If you guys give this a try, be sure to share on Instagram and tag me @that.low.carb.life! I love seeing your creations!
More Mexican favorites to try:
Low Carb Taco Casserole: I make this one when I’m craving nachos!
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice: Perfect side or for making burrito bowls!
Hasselback Chicken Fajitas: So much fun!
Low Carb Taco Soup: The perfect bowl of soup!
Low Carb Tamale Pie
Tamale pie made with ZERO corn! You won't believe how much this tastes like the real deal! 8 net carbs per serving.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons 1:1 sugar substitute
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, see note
- 2 cups shredded chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, lime, avocado - for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with non-stick spray.
- Add the melted butter, cream, and eggs to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the green chiles, coconut flour, sugar substitute, salt, and baking soda to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 15 minutes. The cornbread should be just set on top, but still somewhat jiggly in the center.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over the cornbread.
- Drizzle the top of the cornbread with the enchilada sauce.
- Add the cooked chicken and taco seasoning to a bowl and stir to coat.
- Arrange chicken over the top of the cornbread and sprinkle with grated cheddar.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
- I used Old El Paso enchilada sauce which has 4 grams carbs per 1/4 cup.
- I drizzle everything Mexican with Cholula - it's my favorite hot sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 580Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 290mgSodium: 1178mgCarbohydrates: 13gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 31g
Leave a Review